Wednesday, November 27, 2013

"Enclave" by Ann Aguirre



Enclaveby Ann Aguirre was an extremely suspenseful dystopian book. The first in the Razorland Trilogy.
I love dystopian or post-apocalyptic books, anything that says 'For Fans of the Hunger Games' usually sells me. What I really loved about this book though, was that its post-apocalyptic alright, but the world is still a mess there's no real establishments or government yet. It's all about the will to survive.


It's about a girl who turns fifteen, she's finally old enough to claim a name. After being referred to as girl number whatever. Claiming a name, claim a job, earning her place in the enclave, it's the most exciting day. She wants to be huntress, to defend the enclave and everyone inside it. She thinks everything the enclave elders do is for the people's good, for the enclave. Until. She meets her hunting partner. Fade. He's the only outsider to have been given the permission to stay. He lived on his own in the tunnels for close to four years. He was barely human when they found him. That was a few years ago now, he's been trained since then. They made frequent trips into the tunnels looking for food, fighting any mutations they call 'freaks'. Freaks look like they could have been human once, but now they have yellowing skin, they smell of rotting flesh, they can smell blood a mile a way, they have razor teeth & nails, and will eat anything they can get their hands on, even each other if one of their kin dies. The girl's enclave, called College, had always struggled fighting them off no matter how stupid and easy the freaks were to trick, but now after being in the tunnels several times with Fade, it seems the Freaks are showing signs of intelligence. That could mean then end of College, the end of all the enclaves. The girl and Fade, race back to tell the elders, only to have the elders brush them off, and find ways to keep them quiet. The elders have been hiding something or some things, and now the whole enclave is at risk. My enclave, my people, my home. I am the girl, the name I've claimed is Duece.  


This book is a wonderful first person perspective read, as you may know if you've read any of my other posts, I LOVE first person reads. I loved the fact that Ann made a world that was post apocalyptic, and literally falling apart still. Usually, like in the Hunger Games, the books are post apocalyptic, yes, but there's a government and things already fixed up and cities established. Duece and Fade have nothing. There were so many parts in the book I never saw coming. They're living in a world where they not only have to fear Freaks, but corrupt people too.Who should Duece trust, who shouldn't she trust? This book was action packed and kept me on the "edge of my seat" sort of speak, yet it had some calm parts and a fantastic story line. I literally picked the second book, Outpost, up right after I finished reading it. It's a must must must must read! 


The only thing I DISLIKED, was that for the first two chapters, I felt like it kind of jumped around or something. There were a few sentences I had to re-read to make sure I understood what I just read, maybe I was just tired, I don't know. By the third chapter though it was "normal" or well written. I didn't have to re-read anything after that. If you read the book let me know what you thought, maybe it was just me.
                                                                                                      Rating 5 out of 5.          

No comments:

Post a Comment